Saturday, September 02, 2017

Cecile no Mokuromi episodes 1+2

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Ugly duckling housewife played by Maki Yoko enters world of housewife fashion magazine discovers all the frivolous things that Japanese women care about and then finds out that the models are not as real as they think they are.

WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT IT?

Maki Yoko and Ito Ayumi! I would be jumping for joy about both of them being the leads if it were any other dorama.

WHAT DON'T I LIKE ABOUT IT?

After two episodes, there is nothing to hook me. Not Maki Yoko's exaggerated housewife nor Ito Ayumi's desperate freelancer writer character. Not the Kichise Michiko being a victim of domestic abuse angle. I just find the tone or angle really boring. There needs to be more of a competition angle to this like talking about the extreme ways the models do their fake instagram pictures in order to get followers and likes.

SUMMARY

Cecile no Mokuromi feels very safe and boring instead of taking advantage of the subject matter and really showing the warts and all of the fashion model industry. Instead it plays more like your typical housewife everyone has a secret dorama. Meh. Might give it one more episode but the first two nearly put me to sleep.

2 comments:

Sonna~ said...

You beat me by one episode. I couldn't manage my way through this one either. I hated the way it jumped around. Also Maki Yoko is really thin to the point of looking tired/sick all the time.

Akiramike said...

@Sonna~ You are very right. She doesn't look like someone who needs more exercise but rather someone who needs to eat more.